AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My First Meme - Thank you Tammie Lee!

Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ Balnarring, Mornington Peninsula
~
A little light
In the leaves of darkness
Leaves a little light
~

Tammie Lee has tagged me for a meme. Usually I write a poem a day. With my new digital camera, I am finding new inspiration! In fact, I was wondering if I could search out another poetry prompt when I found Tammie Lee's invitation! (I am a poetry addict, as if you couldn't tell!) But this makes a refreshing change. Here's hoping it sounds OK!

Rules:
The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
Each player answers the questions about himself or herself.
At the end of the post, the player then tags five people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten years ago: May 1998
Ten years ago was a dark time for me. I was surrounded by the beauty of the island of Tasmania. I so loved the beauty of her mountains and villages. Every scene, in any season, was picture perfect. But I was living a tragic life, seeing all I had worked for slip away. I lived on a grand rural property of 50 acres in the heart of the Western Tiers. But I feared for my safety as my partner resorted more and more to gambling and drinking. Finally, I grabbed what I could bundle into my car and literally ran. But always, in even the darkest darknesss, there is light. Just under ten years ago was a turning point, when I finally left for Melbourne to start life again. It has been tough, but since then I have met and now live with a most loving man. We struggle! We both have tragic stories, but we love each other. And so, I believe we have riches far beyond any worldly wealth. I feel very fortunate.

Five things on today's "to do" list:
1. Begin and end the day with "I love you" to my partner. This never changes from day to day.
2. Eat sensibly to get through a hectic day of teaching.
3. Enjoy my students and their achievements. (This never changes either!)
4. Offer help somewhere to someone.
5. Write about anything that has nothing to do with schoolwork to keep me sane! (Well, just a little anyways!)

Things I'd do if I was a billionaire:
This would have to be an impossible dream! But if, by some miracle this would happen, I would only ask for a home for my partner and I and just enough to live out our lives in retirement. The rest I would like to share with other battlers! That would be perfect happiness!

Three bad habits:
1. Writing at all hours of the night and not getting enough sleep.
2. Worrying about too much, including students.
3. Writing poetry when I should be listening attentively to staff meetings or finding some excuse to give them a miss.

Five places I've lived:
1. Sydney, NSW - for most of my growing up years
2. Liffey, Tasmania - for 2.5 years
3. Liena, Tasmania - 6 months
4. Blackburn, Melbourne - 3.5 years
5. Mornington Peninsula - 5 years

Five jobs I've had:
1. Worked in the Sydney theatres to support university years
2. Worked in Sydney bookshops
3. English/History teacher in Sydney high schools
4. Tourist industry - tea room + chalets - Tasmania
5. English/History teacher Melbourne + part-time writer of English texts

Five people I'm tagging for this meme - Please note, this is completely optional!
O help this is so hard! I have never been involved in a meme before, so don't really know who may even have done this one! But here goes! Please leave me a comment on this post if you choose to do it!

Jeques at Jeques's Web Nook
Elizabeth at The House in Marrakesh
Tara Bradford - Paris Parfait
Selma - Selma in the City
Linda - Nickers and Ink

7 comments:

LA Nickers said...

OK - I'll do it!

I will circle back with a comment and link after I post my response.

Thanks for thinking of me!

Blessings,
Linda

Elizabeth said...

I will do this but it might take me a day or two to get to it.
One of my great uncles went to Tasmania in the late 19th century.
I think his name was either Percival, Claude or Leslie Bayley (they were a big family of brothers...)
Thank you for thinking of me

LA Nickers said...

Go tit.

Here's it is:

SUPER-SEVEN MEME, at Nickers and Ink

have a great day!
Blessings,
Linda

San said...

ooh. working in a bookshop.. i think thats perfect. im leaving for sydney in another two months to study. my first time in australia. so nervous. but an excited kind of nervous. i hope i get a job in a bookshop!! :)

Tammie Lee said...

Hi Gemma,
Lovely that you wanted to do this!
Your life ten years ago does sound like it was hard and frightening. I am glad you took care of your self by leaving. Seems you could write a book on that time, though maybe you would rather not think about it that much.

I feel that teachers are treasures, they care for and guide our young ones. Their pay should be at the top of the income level. Thank you!

Jeques said...

This is really interesting to do Gemma! I wish I have the time, and I will try to find time for this.

As you may have noticed, my visits and reading to your posts has been quite limited lately. I've been working long hours, so my schedule has been off balance leaning more towards my time for work. If only not for my love for writing.

I will inform you when I have answered this. Until then.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit late getting to this but I'll do it this week. No worries!

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails