AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ghostly Landscapes

Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ Ghostly Shapes in Landscapes
~
Sunday Scribblings prompt #120 ~ Ghosts
~

Not everyone believes in ghosts ~
But then
There are certain feelings
In certain landscapes
That can't quite be explained
That can't quite be ignored
~
Take a walk
Take a walk in early morning mist where
No traffic hums
No bird calls
No wind
~
Thin branches
Suddenly arc before you
Like skeletal arms
Beckoning an embrace
~
Unknown shapes
Demand attention
Demand respect
Perhaps
Demand fear
~

Pic collage by Gemma Wiseman ~ Ghostly lights and shadows
~
A lonely tree
Naked
Fragile
On a slope of
A hill
Inspires
A drowning
Shivering sense of
Being alone
Being open to
Threat
Vulnerable
~
Long shadows reach deep into
Long forgotten fears
Haunting
Disturbing
Overwhelming
~
Even when light
Illumines clouds
Very slowly
Dark outlines
Stubbornly challenge
A weighty question
~
There is no such thing as ghosts?
~

14 comments:

Noah the Great said...

I like that feeling, it makes me feel like I'm one with nature and I can finally feel it all around me.

It's a good write.

Perhaps, the ghost is mother nature herself?

Jeques said...

Gemma,

If ghost takes that form, then I don't mind seeing one. Your words made me like to experience such an encounter.

I love to commune with nature, in this poem the elements seem to reciprocate that love in the line:

"Thin branches...
...beckoning an embrace"

There is that certain longing, this time in the part of nature longing for our embrace.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

anthonynorth said...

You place the feeling of mystery in what we observe well.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love the photo collage here and the sense of mystery too

murat11 said...

My favorite lines:

On a slope of
A hill
Inspires
A drowning

"inspires / a drowning" is wonderful.

totomai said...

Gemma, this is a mysterious write, yes, sometimes, out of nowhere you just got an eerie feel. hehe

liked the series of photos too.

Linda Jacobs said...

Pictures and words go so well together!

Granny Smith said...

The last few mornings we have been completely socked in by fog which gradually retreats and creates such ghostly landscapes. Your poem is lovely, as are your photos.

danni said...

i think your collage is a wonderful accent to your verse which in and of itself is beauty!!!

Rambler said...

"A lonely tree
Naked
Fragile
On a slope of
A hill
Inspires"

I just stopped here..it does inspire me a lot...

Tammy Brierly said...

Beautiful poetry and photography. Nature does have a ghostly presence as your images described.

paisley said...

gemma you are really getting some excellent shots... wow!!!!

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Hello Gemma, I love your photography and ghostly images. Just beautiful! I captured one such image last Friday so I decided to add my post to the Sunday Scribblings.

Karen at Ciderantiques

Anonymous said...

Gemma, I loved this.
And on tomorrow's walk, I will open my eyes wider.
Thanks.

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails